The minimalist design trend is all about less is more. A curated room is relaxing as opposed to a cluttered room. The monochromatic minimalist approach to interior design is my favourite. Minimalism is associated with simplicity, neutral colour palettes and clean lines.
Here are six tips for styling a minimalist room
1. Soft subdued colours, because it’s clean, fresh looking and creates a sense of calm.
2. Texture adds a comfort factor to the room for example, a Velvet chair or pillow.
3. Invest in stylish storage, like an accent chest or a storage ottoman.
4. Think multi purpose: add nesting tables to a living room or a bench for extra seating.
5. Accessorize using a sleek floor lamp instead of a heavy lamp on a side table.
6. Incorporate natural elements: place a potted palm tree in an empty corner to brighten up a space.
To summarize the steps to create a minimalist room:
Keep it simple, use a soft colours, declutter and have less stuff with more interest.
When done well, minimalist design can be beautiful, warm, rich and inviting.
Written By Ellen Zworth
Design Specialist at Decorium