When decorating our homes, there are so many items to think about. Some are functional, some are fashionable, and some we just can’t live without to make our homes feel complete.
MIRRORS are one of these things.
From the great Palace of Versailles, Maria Antionette was definitely onto something when she created the Hall of Mirrors. However, if your home doesn’t have soaring ceilings or gigantic windows, there is no better decorating trick to make a space seem roomier and amplify light, than a well-placed mirror. It can also be used as an eye-catching focal point in any room.
Here are a few tips on how to decorate your home using mirrors:
- Use large mirrors in a small room – this can reflect light and give the illusion of more space.
- Make it a focal point – an oversized floor mirror, resting against the wall, can really dress up a space and add instant visual square footage.
- Mirrors on a gallery wall – this adds visual interest and reflects natural light if placed across from a window.
- Go bold with shapes – don’t limit yourself to round or rectangular mirrors, get creative by choosing geometric shapes, such as stars, and bold frames to create impact.
- Place mirrors smartly – make sure it reflects a nice view or bounces light in the room.
- Use mirrors in narrow hallways and staircases – this adds depth and can create a smooth flow from room to room.
- Place mirrors in the entrance way – this brightens up the entrance of your home and gives a welcoming feeling.
So, mirror, mirror, on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all? With no shortage of design and styling ideas, mirrors are magical and are one of the few decorating elements that can work wonders in every room of your home!
Article Written By: Beatrice Espinola
Design Consultant at Decorium