Back in the day, used to be that the backyard was ‘His’ domain, while the inside of the home was ‘Hers’. In these modern times though, more and more, we’re seeing that when it comes to decorating the home, both partners are equally interested and vested in how they want it to look and feel.
Needless to say, it can become tricky when trying to decorate your home to be equally inviting to both partners.
Here are some simple tips to help cater to everyone’s needs:
- Choose neutral colours. This creates a soothing base which will allow to layer both feminine and masculine elements to your space.
- Introduce pattern and colour to suite both of you. Adding large scale prints such as florals in soft colours to elements such as curtains, rugs, and toss pillows, will not draw too much attention to these accents. Mix in some stripes to add a masculine touch.
- Select furniture with both feminine and masculine lines; such as an ornate lamp or side table next to a straight and streamlined sofa.
- Create unique displays to show off the pieces that are important to each of you and highlites each of your personalities and design styles.
- Keep decorative pillows to a minimum, especially in the bedroom. Most men agree that they don’t like a bed laden with pillows, only to have to remove them every night before bed.
Although it may seem like a daunting task, just keep working at it…practice makes perfect! and remember that your home is supposed to be comfortable and welcoming to both of you, so make sure that you both have a say in what’s going into it.
Article Written By: Beatrice Espinola
Design Specialist at Decorium