If you ever thought buying sofa was easy, think again! This could be one of the toughest tasks you come across. Buying attractive yet affordable furniture for your living space can be an expensive investment, especially if you make the wrong decisions. You have to choose your sofa wisely. A great choice will not only add to the overall beauty of your home but define comfort for you and those who visit your place.
So, are there easy rules when buying a sofa? The principle seems simple enough:
Small Room = Small Sofa
Big Room = Big Sofa
In actual fact, you need to be a little more selective. Take into consideration sense of style, colour and affordability when hunting for sofas for your home. If you are looking for condo-size or smaller scale sofas, even more so, since your space is precious and limited.
The name of your day-to-day sofa of course is known by many names. It can be called a sofa, a divan, a settee, couch or davenport. Even though you may call this piece of furniture whatever you like, the purpose is still the same.
To get the perfect blend of comfort, style and elegance, here are a few tips you should keep in the loop:
1. Size does matter. The size of your sofa is extremely important. No choice should be such that it either makes the space crowded or underwhelmed. Measure your space before you even decide to walk out the door and go shopping. With so many alluring and up-beat sets out there, it is easy to think, “Oh yeah, that one’ll work” when in fact, the size simply isn’t right. Also, you have to be able to fit the sofa through the doors of your home, so measure the doors and hallways as well, just to be sure. If you still need a little help getting a sofa with the right measurements, there are plenty of professionals in furniture stores who can help (i.e., Decorium, with our sales staff who provide free interior decorating services in-store).
2. Right shade plays safe. Afterall, things need to match. Getting the right shade will enhance your look and bring out your best features, just like when you buy clothes. Treating the accessories like jewelry for the outfit, that can be changed conveniently, will help tremendously. Choosing a sofa in solid, earthen-toned colours that complement almost anything, such as dark brown, charcoal grey or ivory will work wonders and invite compliments for your sense of timeless style. If you want to make small changes according to the seasons, keep different coloured or patterned pillows, to bring out when the time is right. Subtle changes with accessories can make big differences.
3. Nothing comes beyond comfort. There is famous saying that defines, “An elegant design is not just about looks, it is also about the purpose.” Never get blown away by the look of your sofa – it has to be comfortable! Remember, if it is not comfy enough to make your sitting or resting easier, it will soon find a place in storage or on a curb for someone else. Avoid that expensive mistake!
4. Shape to suit your interior. It’s alright to get a little inventive. Normally, when you think of a sofa, it’s just a dull rectangle. Well, not anymore! There are so many more shapes on the market nowadays, so indulge your senses! If you have a small-sized room, try a sofa with delightfully curved back and arms, maybe even in leather, to add something sumptuous and gorgeous to your space that everyone will notice. The Henley sofa is a beautiful example:
5. Fabric defines your sense of style. A lavish, delightful and eye-pleasing microfibre or velvet-feel is ideal fabric for luxurious homes. But so is the elegance of leather. Whatever your choice, the cover of the sofa should always feel right, regardless of the weather outside. Don’t skimp on the quality of the cover. The thicker and higher grade of fabric or leather, the more likely it will last, continue to look stunning, and feel just as good as it did years later (if not better) than the day you bought it.
Hopefully now, you will remember to buy your finest, but also one that suits your budget. Look around and browse online to find exactly what you’re looking for.
At Decorium, we offer every single custom option available with all our upholstered items. Chances are, with us, you can get that couch you’ve always dreamed of. Come in-store and take a look. We’d love to have you visit!